Friday, September 10, 2010

Once a Month Update ...

Figured I should put something in here.  With the start of school, things tend to get a bit hectic.  Let's see ...

BOOKS:  I've become addicted to the Nook.  I really resisted e-books for a quite a while (you can't have an e-book signed ... you can't display e-books in a library ... how do you lend an e-book ... etc).  Now I find I'm reading more than I ever have.  It's great to always have your book with you, to always be able to find your page, and always be able to get a new book instantly (so long as you're in a Wi Fi hot spot).  Let's see, I've read "Super Sad True Love Story" (It's about a dystopic future where America collapses under the weight of its own consumerism, couched in the diaries of a Russian immigrant.  It's supposed to be funny and bittersweet.  It was well written, but depressing - I couldn't wait to finish it.  I really have to learn to stop buying books because they got a good review.  They are almost always downers, which really?  Don't need to spend what little spare time I have depressing myself), "Johannes Cabal the Necromancer" (wickedly funny - one of the best turns on the Faust story I've ever read.  I love it that the main character was so deliciously unlikeable - but hilarious), "A Dirty Job" (An amusing story about a guy who gets selected to be a grim reaper, but if you've read one Christopher Moore book, you've pretty much read them all ... and it was a bit longer than it really needed to be), and "This Is Where I Leave You" (A story about a guy who goes home to sit shiva with his disfunctional family for his atheist father - it starts out really funny, but by the time you reach the end, you want to tear your hair out ... just when you think this guy's life can't get worse, it does ... another in the well-reviewed-needlessly-depressing series of books I've read).  Right now, I'm reading "Pandemonium" by Daryl Gregory.  It's about a world where demon possession is an accepted part of life.  It's too early to make a judgment other than to say I'm enjoying it more than the two well-reviewed books I read.  I guess I'm a no-taste kind of reader, but I actually think books should be enjoyable.

TV:  Started watching Warehouse 13 - cute, fluffy fun.  My older daughter loves it.  Finally got the first season of "Being Human" - absolutely love this show.  My debate is how long to wait for the next season.  Not too enthusiastic about many of the new shows this fall.  I'm still in mourning over the end of "Lost" (and for the record, I LIKED the ending).  "Supernatural" is still on, but I'm not sure how they're going to top the end-of-the-world stuff this past season.  Looking forward to "Fringe", but I still have to catch up on season 2.  I'm hopelessly behind on "Chuck" so I won't be able to watch it until it's on DVD.  I kind of got sick of "Glee" by the end of the first season (I can't stand a show with no internal consistency), and Murphy tends to blow it in season 2 of his shows, so I'm not sure if I'll be watching or not.

LIFE:  Work is work - neither good nor bad, but still there, which I guess is good in-and-of-itself in this economy.   Working out a bit more, but eating too much, so ... you know.  Kids seem to be doing ok in school.  Nothing else too new and exciting.

No comments: