Thursday, June 10, 2010

Movin' on Up

We had the moving up ceremony for the girls yesterday, and for some reason, I'm in a grouchy mood. I just really don't like these types of things for a number of reasons - some logical, some personal, some just anti-social. Anyway, the gripes that are still sticking with me today:
1. Why is it we have a atheletics banquet to honor the athletes, but we don't want to give awards out for academic achievement? Heaven forbid someone feel good because they did well in school.

2. Why is it the queen bee/popular kids still get away with treating others like crap (or ignoring them completely)? It's just so ... I mean, haven't we learned anything? Why has stuff like this not changed? One brief aside, I was having a discussion with my daughter about how the cheerleader is never the hero in a teen movie - It's the outsider who's always the hero. Of course, I'm pretty sure it's because writers tend to be geeks.

3. If 27 out of 30 kids get the president's scroll for GPA, how much meaning does the scroll have? Are we living in Lake Wobegone (where all the children are above average)?

4. How can you give the top student award to the kid who decided not to take advanced math because they didn't want to work that hard?

Anyways ... weigh in sucked, now at XX9.8, which means a total whopping weight loss of 1.8. Still, so long as it's down, I'll take it. Particularly given how I ate yesterday (mmmmm, Brusters). At least I exercised.

No comments: