Thursday, August 23, 2007

Books, Books, and More Books

In case I haven't mentioned it, I love to read. Shocking, I know. Anyways, I was just thinking about what writers I will buy based on the power of their name only. As much as I enjoy reading, there are few left alive that fit this category (I have GOT to find me some new authors). Anyways, here's my list:

1. Neil Gaiman - The only thing I've read of his that I don't like are his short stories. Any novel, whether adult or juvenile, graphic or regular, I'm there. In fact, he's one of the few authors that can cause me to see a movie as well. Screwy sense of humor, elements of the fantastical, wry social commentary, obsession with mythology (Norse, Greek, you name it) - there's nothing about his writing (except the short stories) that I don't like.

2. Sherman Alexie - He's the only writer I know of that can write truthfully about life on a Reservation and not depress the hell out of you. Most of his writing reflects what he knows, but he's funny and insightful and ... well, if you haven't read his books, at the very least, you should rent the movie Smoke Signals. Yeah, he did that one as well.

3. Dean Koontz and/or Stephen King - Ok, I should warn you that here is were my love for the writer takes a big step down. I mean, I like them and yeah, I'll buy on name alone, but I have to admit that sometimes the quality isn't there. King needs an editor, but no one will edit him anymore. Still, he spins fascinating stories, even if they don't always work. My trouble with Koontz is that he tends to write the same story over and over and over again. I still like his stuff, but it's not the love that I have for the first two writers.

And ... that's pretty much it. I know, what about JK Rowling. Well, yeah, I loved the Potter books as much as anyone. I just don't know I would buy a book just because she wrote it. I need to see something outside Potter before I judge. Same with Scott B. Smith. Yes, I loved The Ruins, but the guy's only written 2 books. I need a bigger sample size. Meg Cabot? Well, she's amusing, and I'd probably buy the Heather Mills books for a quick read, but she writes so much that's meh that I can't put her on my liste either. The other folks I read are either one-offs or dead. So who's on your must-read list?

3 comments:

Jynx said...

Hmmm...

I love reading too... and I love books. But as I wander through "Book Club" and the "ABC", I'm realizing that I'm very particular. I like genre stuff (usually mystery, horror/suspense, sci-fi) and I like series - same characters with progression just hits home with me. Some of the authors I know who I love that write in those categories are: Kathy Reichs, Diane Mott Davidson, Joanne Fluke, Nancy Martin, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Connelly, and Jim Butcher. Oddly enough, I only read certain "series" from each of them... I've tried their other works and don't like them. So, I can say I will just buy their books without knowing the story - as long as they are in the series I like. If not, then I don't buy them.

I enjoyed reading your list... great post! =)

RedZone said...

hmm...i think i'm in the same boat. most of the authors i love, i've only read a certain series. i guess my list would include james gurney, troy soos, susan holtzer, gregory maguire, dan simmons...a lot, actually. ps, Jynx, finally started reading some jim butcher. love!! thanks for the recommendation. :D

Jynx said...

I'm so glad you've started reading Jim, hatgirl... and that you LOVE it. =) I haven't ever read any of his Codex Alera series, but the Harry Dresden Wizard stuff is out of this world! We'll have to discuss! =)

Oh - and Paula, if you see this... WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU???? I come by here every day but haven't seen any new posts in, like, FOREVER! Come now... I'm going through Paula withdrawals!!! =)