Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Unique and Universal

Warning: Religious musings ahead. Proceed with caution.

Been reading a book called "God's Plan for Getting Things Done." It's kind of interesting. It's basic premise is that we all tend to plan using one of two methods: projection planning (x% more than in the past) or wishful thinking. Neither one has much place for God in it, and because of that, we shouldn't be too surprised when our plans fall flat. I have to admit I'm guilty of both options. Anyway, it continues to comment that God has basically two plans for our lives: unique and universal. The universal plans are the ones that tend to get all the press. They're the big things that everyone is supposed to do, go ye into all the world and all that stuff. But it's the unique plans that tend to be more important to your personal happiness. If God has a plan for you, doesn't it make sense that there is a personal aspect to it? Primarily, for me right now, it seems to be what should I be doing for a living. I always assumed that since I'm not happy, I must not be doing what I should be doing, but danged if I could figure out what I should be doing. I'm beginning to think I might be looking at this all wrong. If God is in control, then he's not going to let me screw up the big things. I tend to believe in the golden hammer method, which is basically, God will allow you to muck up the small stuff, but eventually, He's going to make sure you get the big stuff basically right. Which means, to me, that He wouldn't let me make a major career decision without being involved, right? If that is the case, then maybe, just maybe, I AM doing what I'm supposed to be doing, and what needs to change is my attitude? Something to think about, eh?

3 comments:

Jynx said...

Interesting book. I like the premise and I think I agree with it to an extent.

I honestly believe that we need to weigh our options, make a decision that a) makes us happy and b) seems to be the best fit for us at that time... and THEN we should take it to Him in prayer and let him know what we have decided. That's mostly for us to show humility and to demonstrate our DESIRE to have Him help with our decisions.

Then after we tell Him what we've decided, He will let us know if He thinks it's a good decision or not. If it's a good one, we'll feel light, happy, content. If not, then we'll feel even MORE confused, possibly heavy and still in turmoil.

Well, that's the direction the Bible gives anyway...

BUT, I do agree that it may be in the attitude too. It's definitely something to think about. Thanks for posting about this... I always look forward to your blog posts... they make me think! =)

And good luck investigating more!

hftr said...

The only difference I would emphasize is that God needs to be included earlier in the decision process. I really don't think we should be making the decision - it should be done with prayerful consultation. And I do mean it when I say that I don't believe we're allowed to make BIG mistakes. If He has a plan for our lives and He is in control, then why would He let us go too far afield? Doesn't really make sense. I'm a firm believer that weird things start happening to let you know when you are extremely off the track. For what it is worth ...

Anonymous said...

Ya'll think too much.

My mother was a very wise woman. She taught me several things I have never found to be wrong (and sometimes I resent the hell out of it).

First: "the Good Lord will put you where He wants you." Of course, you have to be open to seeing it. You can fight Him and think you want to be somewhere, but if you're open to the opportunities He puts in front of you, you will find yourself in a place you never would have dreamed and it's better than you ever could have dreamed.

Second: "The Good Lord will give you all the opportunities you need to learn what He has to teach you." If things keep happening and you keep getting frustrated, you need to sit back and ask, what am I supposed to learn here. When you figure it out, and you learn the lesson, those situations just disappear.

Third: "Yes and No are easy. It's when God say, 'Wait a while' that's tough." My experience with this phrase comes in just two words: Christopher Jon.