Thursday, August 09, 2007

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 8

Up until now, I have to say that I've been fairly underwhelmed by the highly touted "Season 8" Buffy comic book. I mean, yeah, the characters were all there, and yeah, they had really talented writers, but the stories all felt underdeveloped and superficial. It was like they were doing cameos, but the stories lacked the depth or darkness of the original. It was like they spent four issues parading our old favorites around so we could clap for them and didn't want to distract from that with an actual story. The fact that they decided to bring back Amy and Warren as the big bads didn't help much. Been there, done that, and Amy, please call your lawyer and sue for defamation of character. The giant Dawn was just a silly sight gag gone on too long. Something was missing. I just didn't feel for these characters anymore.

Finally, I read issue 5 - a stand alone that did not even have Buffy in it. Loved it. In one short comic, they created a character I could feel for. The central figure is one of the Buffy impersonators. The story of how she got there, what she was doing .... well, if you haven't read it, it felt very much like an early Buffy. I wonder if we've learned too much about the core Scoobies for them to hold our interest. I mean, they have all theoretically grown and are much too wise and powerful to experience the emotions I want to see. I like doubt - but after seven years as the Slayer, is it realistic for Buffy to still doubt herself? What can they confront these characters with that they haven't already seen several times? I just hope we see more stand alone stories without the key characters, particularly if Issue 5 is an indication of what we can expect.

3 comments:

Jynx said...

Huh. Interesting thoughts on BtVS S8! I have been wondering what Buffy fans think of the comic books. I've talked to a few and most don't like them. I read the first one and it was enough for me. I'm not so much a fan of the medium and I thought it was... well, as you said, "underdeveloped and superficial". So I gave up. I figure, you have to let things go eventually so I gave that up.

I wonder about having "learned too much about the core Scoobies" as well. Maybe if they had made the growth much more stunted over time so we still had some to explore? I dunno... too late to theorize now, I s'pose. *shrug*

I was thinking about what I would think if they did a feature film. I'm not sure... it might be too played out for that as well. Well, unless it was with a different take - such as a Spike, Giles, or Faith story... mostly because I think there may be more to SHOW even though we may KNOW about some of their history. Does that make any sense?

Anywhoo... good musings. You'll have to let us know what you think when you read more...

hftr said...

I highly recommend the Fray comic series for a lot of the reasons you outlined - it comes up with a new character and fresh take on the mythology. Also, since it is mainly about Fray, you get a more developed, full storyline. It's much more satisfying than the Buffy Season 8 has been.

As for the latest one, the interesting take is that is about one of the Buffy impersonators, how she becomes one, what she does, what happens to her (it ain't pretty, but it's dark and full and all of the things that are missing from the other books in the series).

Next section is supposed to be about Faith, whom I've never really cared for - it'll be interesting to see what they do with her.

Jynx said...

Cool... thanks for the recommendation! I'm still not sure I'll read any more because I'm not a "comic book" fan, but I'll consider it now!

And I'll be curious to know what they do with Faith. I actually really like that character... do come by and let us know what you think here, will you? (Thanks!) =)