Monday, May 24, 2010

Mom OD


We recently had my daughter's school musical, and both my mother and mother-in-law were staying at my house for a few days. The experience is ... interesting? ... invigorating? ....exhausting? .... frightening? Probably a little of each of these.


Look, I love and respect my mom, but ... it's kind of like the weirdest people you know are your friends. By that, I mean, they aren't really weirder than anyone else, it's just you know them better, so you notice their idiosyncracies. With family, it's like that times ten. There's always a struggle with parents as you get older - they never quite see you as an adult, they never can quite stop parenting. You (or at least I) get annoyed ten times quicker than with anyone else - the old, "crap-I-can-see-where-this-is-going" eyeroll kind of thing. Add to that a huge fear you'll turn out to be everything you hate about your parents and ... well, let's just say that's an awful lot of emotional overhead. And I haven't even mentioned the guilt-wrapper this all comes in.


I just hope I don't make my kids as crazy as my mom makes me - but I'm pretty sure I will. *sigh*


(By the way, my daughter is the wolf in the upper left corner - I'm so proud.)

1 comment:

Jynx said...

LOL! This is too funny! I'm right there with ya. I hate the struggle where your mom never really lets you be an adult. My whole entire life, we NEVER fought. I had been away at college for some time - even lived out of the country. And then I went back home for one Summer. That Summer, I think she and I fought AT LEAST once a day. And it usually ended with me saying, "MOTHER! I am an adult now... you cannot treat me like I am still 8 years old!!!" and then stomping out.

So, if it's anything, you're not alone.

On a completely different topic, I love the pic and the wolf in the upper left corner is the best of all of the wolves... you SHOULD be very proud! =)