Thursday, April 29, 2010

Big Ben Controversy

I've been a Steeler fan all my life - has a lot to do with growing up in Pittsburgh during the 70's. I've lived through the post-Bradshaw years, watching Mark Malone, Cliff Stoudt, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Neil O'Donnell and a parade of not-very-good quarterbacks lead the team. As a Steeler fan, it was a breath of fresh air when Ben came to Pittsburgh - finally, we had a franchise quarterback all our own! When he went undefeated in his first year, it seemed that the sky was the limit for the Steelers and Big Ben. Then, some crack started to show. Small at first (Of the "Oh, I played with broken toes, that's why I sucked in the playoffs" variety), then bigger (riding a motorcycle with no permit and not helmet - really, Ben?), and then ... well, unless you are living in a cave, I don't think you can have missed Ben's latest problems. Even if Ben has only done what both sides admit to (giving alcohol to an already inebriated 20-yr old and separating her from her friends), he's a jerk. And that is the best you can say about it. At worst ....

As an aside - one thing I find interesting about the situation is the differing views of men and women looking at the situation. Let me just say that being a college age woman and going out bar-hopping with your friends does not make you a slut. You'd be hard-pressed to find many women who didn't do something similar in college. And that's what upsets me the most - look, I've been there. I've overindulged and depended on friends to get me home safely. The fact that he took that away from her is reprehensible.

So where does that leave me as a Steeler fan? Doesn't look like they are going to trade him, so what now? I know that I will find it hard to root for my team with Ben as quarterback. I MIGHT even be tempted to root against them. But part of me wonders how much outrage the good people of Pittsburgh will have if Ben comes back and leads them to another SuperBowl. How "forgiving" are we ... so long as he wins?

1 comment:

Jynx said...

Hmmm... wow. Interesting. All very good comments and points.

I'll be curious to see how the next season goes - both professionally and personally - for Ben. I tend to think that he's burned a lot of bridges. And we know that this isn't the first complaint from a young woman about his conduct. I really suspect that if he continues to misbehave, the team may get rid of him.

Then again... that may just be MY wishful thinking!!!