Monday, June 07, 2010

The Downside of Private Schools

As I mentioned yesterday, the older girl is having some angst about who's coming back and who's not. Turns out things are not much better for the younger girl (she's the sack-racer pictured). She also looks like she's losing her 2 best friends as classmates (on the bright side, she's also losing a kid that has driven her nuts for the past year - we sang "Ding, Dong, the witch is ..." in celebration. Yeah, I'm an adult and good role model, why do you ask?). It's one of the downsides of going to the school we go to - there's a ton of turnover (particularly if the economy is bad). Add to that none of her friends live anywhere close to us, and it makes it tough for a kid. I remember growing up and all you had to do is go half a block and you'd pick up half a dozen kids. Not so many kids in our neighborhood, and even those that are here, she doesn't know too well (and yeah, it is probably our fault for not getting out more, but hey, I'm anti-social). That means every time she wants to get together with a friend it's a major undertaking (or at least involves driving her somewhere). I miss the community of where/how I grew up (which, by the way, I also learned to hate, but that's another rant) .

Anyway, weigh-in is XX8.4, which means 3.2 lbs of water weight (yeah, I have no confidence this is a real loss yet). Eating is pretty ok, though I did have a piece of cheesecake (it was small ... honest). Still need to get kicked into gear on the exercise thing. Hopefully tonight.

1 comment:

Jynx said...

See, now, Jr High was another story for me and I had a boy that was the BANE of my existence the whole time. When it came time to go to HS, he moved away. SO, bottom line is that while some friends are lost... some of the "ding dongs" are... "dead". *snerk* Okay, I jest, but you know what I'm saying.
I'm sure she'll be able to make new friends and it will work out.

On the bright side, you're doing GREAT with your weight loss, etc. (Even with the cheesecake.) I really need to jump on the stick. Or... maybe a treadmill. =) Keep it up!