Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Politically Incorrect Views

OK, I've not posted lately because I really didn't have much I wanted to share. And now, my first post back and I'm going to be a bit inflamatory. It's about Katrina. Yeah, I know. It was, is, and will continue to be a tragedy. But you know what? I've already given cash to the effort. I don't need every web page I visit to ask me for more. I don't need every blog I read to tell me how awful it is. I get it. Really. I'm not stupid (though some might debate that issue). I go to work, there's a message on our work intranet telling me how I can give. My kids go to school, I get a note on how I can give. My kids go to soccer, I get a note on how I can give. I go to the grocery store, I get asked to give. I go to church - yep, you got it, special offering for Katrina. And woe be it to you if you don't give to every Tom, Dick and Harry who asks.

Besides the overkill annoyance factor, this does lead to some other interesting questions nobody wants to ask, though. Where was everybody before this happened? Where was everybody when every scientist who looked at the situation said New Orleans was heading for a huge disaster, that building a city below sea level wasn't exactly the smartest thing in the world? Where was everybody when Bush and his cronies were cutting funding for the levee system and pooh-poohing global warming and the rapidly dwindling wetlands? Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot - it's your money. Yeah, well, this is your disaster too. Great decisions there, people. Oh, and where was everybody when the poor of the city couldn't afford to leave? Gee, not our problem, they aren't middle-class white folk. What? You don't think race played a part? Doesn't it disturb anyone else that regardless of what I think as a middle-class white woman, 80% of the African American population thinks race played an issue - doesn't that disturb anyone?

And so what is our response? Let's throw money at the situation after it's too late. Nevermind that there is little to no accountability to how the money is being spent - why, to consider that would be hard-hearted (cue "And the money kept rolling in ..." from Evita). Nevermind that it's still a pretty dumb idea to build the city below sea level - we're gonna make it the same way it was before, dagnabbit. And if anyone disagrees with us? Why they're just commie-pinko-terrorists, ya know?

No comments: