Friday, June 29, 2007

Legally Blonde

Just got the official soundtrack to the Legally Blonde stage musical, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. I'd been listening to a preliminary recording, and somehow, the real soundtrack was anticlimactic. I was puzzled at my reaction as I did enjoy the show, but I felt disconnected from it. Then when I listened to the preliminary CD, I fell in love with the show. I couldn't wait for the "real" CD - even though I knew there had been changes, I figured it would be even better, with a couple of songs from Orfeh who has an awesome voice. But when I got the CD, I found myself let down. Part of it was how some of the songs were recorded - Laura Bell Bundy sang them either in a higher pitch or somehow avoided the edge to her voice, which I find awesome. They just seemed to neuter the Elle character. I couldn't quite put my finger on it until I listened to one of the last songs, where Elle is considering going back home and giving up. In the preliminary CD, she sang, "That's fine with me, just let me be Legally Blonde." The final version was "It's not up to me, just let me be Legally Blonde." Not a big change? No, it was a huge change. In the original version, she had dared to dream that she could be more than what people thought she could be. She knew she could be more, but had never dared to do it. That's why it's heartbreaking when she decides - yes, she makes a decision - that it's not worth the fight anymore, that she'll just be what they expect her to be. Compare that with the second version, where here's poor little Elle, no choice in the matter. What a simpering wimp! The two characters are completely different. And that's why I liked the preliminary version better. That Elle, while a bit superficial, was never stupid or unaware. She was a fighter. She knew what people thought but she wasn't going to let it get to her - to steal a phrase from another cut song, she was a "Beacon of Positivity." They take that all away in the final version. It's almost like they are afraid a strong Elle is an unlikeable Elle. And that's why I'll keep listening to the earlier version.

3 comments:

Jynx said...

Hmmm... interesting review. I would love to see the show one of these days, though. I loved the movie. Of course, I'm a fan of Reese Witherspoon's so it might not hold the same "magic". But it's worth a try.

I've never thought about it before, but I'm right here in Los Angeles. We have all KINDS of plays and I don't even think of actually going to SEE them. Okay, strike that. I DO think of seeing them, but don't consider it seriously. I need to. I saw WICKED over the weekend (I'm going to try to do a write-up in my blog about it soon) and I loved the experience. It had been a long time since I'd been to the theater. And even if I don't always like the stories conveyed, the atmosphere, the hard work, the talent, the beauty and, the fun are all worth the trip and the experience.

What's your next show??? =)

Oooh, hey... and Happy 4th of July!!!

hftr said...

Hey, welcome back. Hope things are going well. We're deciding between Wicked and Mary Poppins (the younger daughter gets to decide). Right now, we're leaning towards Wicked.

If the kids are no issue, I usually tend towards seeing performers I really like (right now, big Kerry Butler fan) or writers I know do good stuff. Now I look for appropriate for the kids stuff.

Jynx said...

Thanks! It's good to be back around. I always check your blog - and a few others - even if I don't make it to post in St. C's.

I would opt to go to Mary Poppins if I were you. Don't get me wrong - WICKED was good. But it puts a lot of unusual twists in there that sort of turned me off. Affairs and illigitimate children, sympathy for the "wicked" witch, distain for Glinda the "good" witch, hateful characters that normally wouldn' be hateful, etc. Don't get me wrong... the music, the voices, the scenery, the idea... all very clever. I was just sort of hoping for a more traditional take on the family valued theme. Of course, maybe I was hoping for too much. It just seems like everything good and wholesome is tainted these days and I was hoping that the simple beauty of the "Wizard of Oz" could stay wholesome...*sigh*

Anywhoo, whatever you decide, be sure to do a write up about it!!! I'm always curious to know what you're doing. =)