Tuesday, June 12, 2007

In Search of a Pool

When I was a kid, the one thing that I always wanted was a pool. One of the neighbors had one growing up, and we would always hang around in front of their house, trying to look hot in hopes they'd invite us in. As an adult, I always figured they were too much work, but there was always a inner feeling of "But I want it." So we've finally decided to look into getting one, even though we have no flat land anywhere near the house, and even though the high school is less than a mile away and has a pool. Of course, that means we should start to saving a bit. Uh-oh. That one might be tougher. Why is it when you know you should be cutting back that you can find all kinds of things you want? Economizing ain't me, at least when someone says I have to. But I don't wanna.

*ahem* in other news, I've started a summer writing program with my older daughter. We're reading through Gail Carson Levine's "Writing Magic" together and doing the assignments at the end of the chapter. So far, I've written two pages of a potentially new children's fantasy. I'll keep going so long as she wants to read it. She's much better than I am at writing short stories. I just don't seem to be able to finish anything in less than 90K words.

2 comments:

Jynx said...

Heh... economizing, schmeconomizing!!! A pool is always nice, but it does take a lot of work (unless you get the new-fangled salt-water kind that are mostly self-cleaning). Good luck with that either way... I hope you get what you really want!

Very cool that you and your daughter are doing the "Writing Magic" together. From what I've seen, you're both talented, so there should be some great stuff generated in your corner of the world... can't wait to see what you have! =)

hftr said...

Thanks! She's actually inspiring me. She told my hubby today that she couldn't wait until tonight. He thought she meant because she started gymnastics, but no, she wanted to see what else I had written in the story I'm working on for her.