Friday, October 28, 2005

Here an Idea, There an Idea ...

Just read Don's post about where his ideas come from and it got me thinking about my own writing. I just realized that most of my ideas come from unexpressed frustration. The first thing I ever attempted was due to my frustration at church, at the shallow hypocrisy of it all ... mostly in myself. The next thing was due to my frustration at work, at the inability to make a connection with most of my coworkers and the realization of how easy it was to hide on the internet. The latest is based on my frustration with corporate America, how manipulative those in control are. Wow, am I a sad case or what?

I guess I write more because I have to than I realize. I think it helps me work through situations that I cannot control and probably cannot get out of. I won't stop going to church because I want my kids raised in a church environment, and in spite of everything, I still believe. I know that I can search forever and not find a church that fits me, so I go to the one I'm currently going to. Doesn't make it any less frustrating. I work because I like the money (yeah, I need it to a certain extent, but really, it's because I grew up with little money and I like that I don't have to worry about it - so long as I still have my job ... selling my youth [or should I say sold] for security). I can't stop seeing things the way I do, and for the most part, I can't change them, but at least I can work them out in my mind by writing about them. I guess that's why it really doesn't matter if I ever send out anything to be published. I need to settle the world/make sense of it somehow, and this is how I do it. I guess I'm pretty cracked, but it's better than going postal, right?

No comments: